Your 90’s favorite staple has gotten huge again and even better. Velvet, metal, leather, or rhinestone, the choker adds a little edginess to your look.
The trend started making a buzz here in Haiti and we’ve spotted a couple of different chokers and looks:
Ditching the usual little black dress and heels, girls, as well as guys put on their sneakers and jackets on Saturday night and headed to Nocterm’s hill top party in Fort Alexandre, located 45 minutes from Petion-Ville.
Needless to say that the most common trend on Saturday were sneakers. From men to women can I just say shoe game on point?
A surprising but very approving trend was faux fur and fringe vests amongst the ladies.
You can never go wrong with leather
Girls in denim
Accessories made a big statement!
Ladies with chokers
A big hair trend this season is the two dutch/french braids
Nocterm Entertainment first came up with the idea of Le Get Away about a year ago. With islands as previous destinations, the concept behind Le Get Away is to discover Haiti’s true beauty in a party atmosphere.
Picture credit: @verdyverna
Summer is a beautiful time to embrace white. It is an elegant option, and it reflects the sun rays.
Beauty and Practicality = Winner
“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak” – Rachel Zoe
Trends come and go but having your own style is what makes you stand out. We spotted a few different looks over the weekend and we love how these fashionistas and fashionistos are embracing their own style. Check them out:
Look #1: The Brooklyn City Slicker
Her Misfit clutch in hand, pink shoes and funky jumpsuit, this Fashionista is ready to make an impression.
Look #2: The Upper East Sider
With just a simple white shirt and black shorts, this fashionista is evoking a city chic look for a night out on the town.
Look #3: The Wall Street Bachelor
Move over Chuck Bass, this bachelor is taking over!
Look #4: The Hampton’s Heart Breaker
Every town has it’s heart breaker, and this lover boy is channeling his inner Nate Archibald.
Which was your favorite look?
This summer, we decided to be a little different in picking our “IT” person. We tend to look at women when they walk in a room, and we’re all about celebrating female form. This time however, we met a unique Haitian we felt earned this spot. With his Basquiat-esque looks, and Pharell swag meet Carl Eric Jabouin… Summer’s IT guy!
He is a man of few words, armed with a sharp tongue, and quirky opinions. Carl Eric is a breath of fresh air indeed.
I’ve always been a fan of fashion, I just never knew it. When I was younger I even used to dress my dad every morning telling what I liked and what didn’t.
What draws you to fashion?
I just love looking good. It gives me confidence.
What is your favorite item of clothing?
I’m a shoe guy.
Do you follow trends or do you prefer to have a timeless style?
I like to think I have my own style doesn’t matter if it’s the trend or not. If I like it, I will wear it no matter what people think about it.
Who is your favorite designer?
Who is your biggest fashion influence?
I look up to Pharrell Williams and Will-I-Am. Clean cuts, bold colors and effortless.
What is your favorite girl’s clothing item?
I can’t say I have a favorite women’s apparel favorite. But I do love a girl who embraces different styles and changes her look up often. I like women with bold fuchsia hair, it’s sexy and shows confidence.
How do you decide what to wear?
On the spot. It’s easier that way.
Meeting this humble young man with a flare for fashion was a pleasure. His style reflects his unapologetic uniqueness. A quiet and cool confidence is always in. Whether roaming the streets of Montreal or spotted in Haiti, look out for this one!
People often don’t realize skincare starts from the inside. The skin is the largest organ in the body and also the last to receive nutrients. It’s therefore obvious that when someone has the right diet, they radiate health and their skin “glows”. Of course the right nutrients won’t do all the work. Outside elements tend to take a toll on our skin (heat, pollution, cold etc), and we have to protect it and nourish it best we can.
1. A Nutrient Rich Diet
- Our bodies are filled with what we call free radicals. They mix with the oxygen in the body and essentially cause oxidation. This causes premature aging. To help fight against this, load up with antioxidant rich foods, like dark berries, dark chocolate (in moderate amounts) and tea.
- In addition, make sure to consume as much vitamins B, C, D and E, as they are known for their skin enhancing properties. They produce collagen, have natural anti-inflammatory properties, boost the skins luminosity etc. So don’t skip those avocados or salmon as they are good fats, and are filled with many of these crucial vitamins.
Tip: They say having six different colors in your plate is over 90% of your recommended daily dose of vitamins.
2. Beauty Routine
Ideally the routine goes, Cleanse, tone and moisturize… But nowadays, our skin is exposed to a lot more strenuous elements, so it is recommended to add a couple more steps:
- Cleansing your skin daily is very important to its health. It cleans the dirt, excess oil and other impurities out of your pores.
- Toning is also vital to the routine, as it clears the last bits of gunk the cleanser cannot reach. This step goes hand in hand with removing your makeup…Most women are quite guilty of skipping this step. Don’t forget to cleanse and tone your neck as well.
Tip: For those who don’t like toning because of the alcohol, try using rose water, it’s a lot more gentle and works beautifully.
- Moisturizing is a must as well. A common misconception is that oily skin types don’t need to moisturize. Au contraire, after cleansing, it is important to restore your skin’s moisture. This also serves as a “barrier” against impurities, and comforts the skin during harsh weather.
- Sunscreen should become your new best friend. The damaging sun rays cause premature aging, spots, melanoma and much more. Sun shouldn’t suddenly become your enemy either, because it does let your body absorb some Vitamin D. Just be gentle to your body and skin.
Tip: Pick a moisturizer with SPF 3O.
- Exfoliating the dead skin cells once a week is great for a fresh looking face right away. It removes the impurities better than cleansing and toning. You cannot use it every day as it is very rough on the skin, but a small chock treatment from time to time is good, and you can notice how soft and clean your face looks after.
- ·Masks are other great treatments. There are different types of facial masks for all kinds of skin type. Preferably used once a week, they can deep-clean your face, tighten your pores, exfoliate and eliminate the dead skin.
- While all these steps and tips are all necessary and important, we cannot forget the most vital element which is H2O. Water flushes out the toxins, replenishes your skin and is the number one way to clear it up! Most bad skin problems are caused by dietary negligence, so try and make adjustments to your everyday intake.
It’s finally spring! For most of us anyways (We’re looking at you, dear readers in Canada). Spring is the time to embrace the most lady like frivolities. Skater skirts, fun vibrant patterns, killer orange lipsticks are all a part of fashions most colorful season. As everything thaws out, our spirits are lifted and what better way of showing that than by ditching the see of black and grey we stuck to for the last 5 months?
A trend we’ve seen almost on every Spring/Summer 14 runway: pretty pastels in mint green, lavender and blush pink.
Yes don’t give up on your gym routine just yet, crop tops are not going anywhere!
Ladylike and preppy florals à la Blair Waldorf.
More ladylike trend with this voluminous silhouette.
The classic white button down shirt was seen on most S/S14 runway.
Making a come back this season are wide-leg pants!
Spring is officially a week away! And I’m sure most of you girls in the north cannot wait to take off those winter clothes and welcome the spring!
Before we get into Spring’s fashion trends, here are some fun beauty trends to try this season:
Low pony tail
All of us girls have dreamt about having Carrie Bradshaw’s shoe collection. We’ve all gone through pinterest looking for pictures of our dream SATC shoe closet. Well it seems like that dream can now become reality with Sarah Jessica Parker launching her very own shoe line.
Yes you heard it right a shoe line by the very own Carrie … I mean Sarah Jessica Parker.
For months now the fashion world has been buzzing about SJP’s shoe collection worthy of Carrie Bradshaw. Partnering with Manolo Blahnik’s CEO George Malkemus, her shoes range from $195-$485. SJP’s collection is available at Nordstrom which includes 25 made in Italy shoe style (each with a name), three handbags and a trench coat.
You’ve seen all the stars sport this look. Different versions of it have been on every single runway this past year. Problem is, you can’t seem to get it right. Don’t worry, not all women are born with the steady hand of Mr. Miyagi. So here are a couple of tips to get a perfect cat eye every time.
First of all, you have to know where to draw the line. I suggest either following the natural curve of the bottom eyelid or taking your eyeliner (or angled brush) and using it as a ruler from the side of your nose to the tip of your eye. This should provide the perfect line for your cat eye. Now are you ready?
1. Use a light pencil first.
Using a light eyeliner to draw the cat eye flick makes it not only easier to draw, it prevents bleeding of liquid products. It’s also much less of a pain to remove if you miss the mark.
2. Use an angled brush
Follow the curve of your bottom eye and lightly pat the brush until you have the length and consistency of color you want. Using eyeshadow also makes the look a lot more soft.
3. And when all else fails: Use an old business card
This is foolproof. Use an old business card to draw both lines. This prevents bleeding, and gives you a clean and sharp line.
Now have fun experimenting with colors and lengths.
Another Christmas has just passed, and this year’s Christmas eve’s party at Tara’s was a fun one. BPPevents decided to make this 24th of December the final masquerade ball, but it seemed that barely anyone (including myself) never respects theme parties anymore.
As expected the night did not start until 3:00 AM and lasted until 8:00 AM. The DJ lineup were Mari Ferrari, Michael Calfan, of course DJ K9 and DJ Bullet, and a surprise Kyroman appeared shooting confetti from a shotgun.
So, what about the fashion we saw? We’re happy to report it was a fashion filled event, probably the most fashionable December 24th so far. Men in suits, bow ties and cardigans were all handsome, while we the women looked stunning in long dresses and chic cocktail dresses.
We even took the liberty of choosing the night’s most stylish couple:
Enjoy more pictures from this eventful night and more on our FB page:
When? Sunday night
Who? 4 Haitian DJs
What? An unforgettable night
For the first time in a really long time in Haiti, Nocterm Entertainment hosted an event with a special guest DJ being one of our own: Michael Brun. For years we’ve seen very famous and international DJs such as AVICII, Steve Angelo, Max Vangeli… Although these events were all awesome, Amazonia was the first to only host Haitian DJs with Bernard Chauvet, DJ Bullet and DJK9 who each played 2 sets.
The crowd went absolutely wild as Michael started playing. His very energetic presence on stage was completely contagious. On the sides of the stage were 2 dancers from Ultra music festival dancing and animating the show. For once the place to be was on the floor with the crowd, moving and even jumping to his beats.
The event saw a parade of fashionable outfits, from urban street chic to glamorous dresses. Everyone came dressed to impress and to each their individual style.
What we loved most about this event, were the guys who took some risks. Harem pants? Yes please! Some guys sported a European style with moccasins and patterned scarves. It was such a pleasure to see people step out of their comfort zone.